Necrotizing fasciitis is an infection in the tissues of the body triggered by a bacteria that is found in water, infiltrates open wounds and gradually destroys skin and muscles.
This microorganism called aeromonas hydrophila, which causes necrotizing fasciitis, is found in most environments with potable or brackish water, according to information published in CCN.
The bacteria is sometimes swallowed by swimmers, which causes stomach or intestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea; however, the severity of the gastrointestinal infection depends on the ability of your immune system to fight it, according to the Mayo Clinic in the United States.
The National Foundation for Necrotizing Fasciitis in the United States ensures that the bacteria reproduce quickly and are easily hidden in the body’s immune system.
However, if necrotizing fasciitis is detected early, only the affected skin or fat is removed; But, if the infection is detected later, amputation may be necessary to stop the spread of the bacteria.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 10,000 cases of group A streptococcus, a group of bacteria that includes necrotizing fasciitis, are registered each year in the United States. Approximately 20% of cases of necrotizing fasciitis are fatal